Saturday, November 3, 2012

Never tie one on....

That is... never tie on a fly until you get a good chance to examine what's going on. I got to the stream today, and it was windy as hell. I didn't think there would be a chance of anything on the surface. My common sense said to knot up a nymph and egg rig with some split shot since the flows are still ripping from Sandy in the wind-free front seat of my car, but I opted to leave my leader naked until I got stream side. I got to the hole and I couldn't believe it. My timing couldn't have been more perfect because there was a great baetis hatch. Some 8x tippet, and a size 22 CDC olive later, I brought my first fish to hand, followed by another. Then just like that, the hatch ended. I'm glad I wasn't fumbling around trying to clip off the nymph rig and store the flies back in a box. After the hatch ended, I picked up another 3 or 4 on midges and eggs. Fun day on the water for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment