Monday, November 29, 2010

I think I have a new favorite pattern

So, I was searching for Copper John patterns the other day and I can across a few rubber legged versions which intrigued me. I recently purchased some rubber legs on clearance from A Sporting Lifestyle on Friday before they closed up shop so I decided to have a go at tying some.

After about 4 failed attempts that had me snapping off the hook eye to get my bead back, I finally came up with a pattern that I liked. I kept the rubber legs long in hopes of giving the fly some nice movement underwater.

Recipe:
Orvis 3x long curved nymph hook, size 20
UTC Ultra Wire (Medium) in the color of your choice
Harelin Dubbin Medium Rubber Legs (Black)
Peacock Herl
1/8" Scud Back
Polar Flash
A drop of Hard as Nails on the wing case and finishing knot

Here's the result.






They look goofy, but I was hoping they would work. I was planning a trip to the Little Lehigh on Sunday and I knew the fish would be keying in on eggs so I sat at the vise with a beer by my side and knocked out a handful of eggs and a few of these Copper Johns.

Sunday's arsenal...



I fished from 1-4pm. I was bouncing an egg pattern with a small split shot, followed by one of these Copper Johns. The water was crystal clear and I had no problem site fishing to all the fish podded up in the Heritage Section. I wasn't even there 5 minutes and I already hooked in to a fish. I continued to have hookups every few minutes all afternoon.

The fish were keying in on the egg, but when they saw the CJ, they rushed it. It was a great afternoon on the water and I'll definitely be tying more of these.

And if you don't believe me that these things catch fish, here's a beautiful small, but wild, brownie that came about 8 feet across the stream to smash the CJ.

No comments:

Post a Comment