Thursday, August 18, 2011

No hackle needed




As we all know, hackle has been hard as hell to come by. I've been getting around it by tying very basic comparadun and spinner patterns. here's some basic hair comparaduns that have me covered for sulphurs, light cahills, and whatever the hell that bigger light colored mayfly is that I keep seeing coming off around 8:45pm that I have yet to identify. I call this one MFX (Mayfly X). I've pulled fish with it this month so I know for sure that it works.

Size 14-18 dry fly hook
Cream microfibbets
Spectrablend dubbing - pale yellow
Comparadun Elk Hair - bleached cream




I also whipped up some rusty spinners, but I have yet to fish these. I kept them very simple with a thread body. Dubbing the body seemed to make it look too bulky and natural spent mayflies always look thinner to me so I did without it. These can be tied in about 45 seconds once you get the hang of x-wrapping the wings.

Size 14-18 dry fly hook
Uni-thread 8/0 (rust)
Dun Microfibbets
White Antron Wings





3 comments:

  1. Man I wish I had the motivation to tie like you do...alas, I don't. Maybe this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good looking flies...it's nice to see some patterns that don't require any hackle :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice dude. Gotta like those flies you can crank out to fill the box. Always seem to outfish the others anyway, but not as fun or adventurous to tie.

    ReplyDelete