Sunday, January 6, 2013

Today, I am a proudest parent on Earth.

It was a beautiful day outside and I wanted to spend some time with Michael. I realized he'll be 4 in a few months and one of my goals was to get him to land a trout on a fly while he was still 3. The kid is no stranger to fishing, he's caught quite a few fish, starting off with a bluegill on his 2nd birthday, and a trout a few weeks later, but those were on spinning gear and worms. We spent last summer slamming bluegills and bass on hoppers  with a 4 weight and he can almost cast a fly rod now.

It was in the mid 40s today, which feels like Florida compared to the weather we've been having, so I decided to give it a go with him. We hit the kiddy pool at the Little Lehigh because it's very easy to catch trout there, and I was sure he wouldn't last too long because he has the attention span of a cardbox box these days (which pretty much all 3 year olds do!).

15 casts and 30 attempts to get him to stop throwing rocks in the water later, we hook into the first fish and he starts working the reel. It was a wild brown which jumped like three times as he reeled it in. The look on his face was priceless. He did a great job, and slowly backed up while reeling until I netted it. I was surprised he didn't want to touch it, but I still managed to hold it up, snap a quick pic, and let it go.

I then threw on a woolly bugger and we quickly got into a rainbow, which he also brought in really quick (unfortunately a little too quick because it took a tiny bounce off a rock). Since it took a little smack, I didn't want to take it out of the net, but I did let him look at it for a few seconds before sending him on his way. Luckily, he was totally fine.

He then wanted to rush off to see his cousins so we packed it up. As we were walking back, I said "Michael, you know you are now a member right?"

"Member of what, daddy?"

"Member of the Men's club, because you caught your first fish on a fly."

"Oh wow Daddy. So I'm a big man like you now?"

"Yes buddy. I'm so proud of you."

"Thanks daddy. I love you so much. Thank you for taking me fishing."

"I love you too, and don't worry, we'll be doing a lot more fishing."

15 comments:

  1. Welcome to the club Michael. Congrats Dad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike. Has Lily got a trout on a fly yet?

      Delete
    2. No, Lilly boycotts fishing. She did the Barbie rod thing for a while, then lost interest...even though she was catching fish. She can be her own person, it's okay with me. (That said she likes to try to tie flies - especially pink & purple ones).

      Delete
  2. Wow, that picture of his little face and that conversation on the way out is a memory that will last forever! You have every right to be proud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, but it's actually a pretty bad pic. He looks drunk! :)

      Delete
  3. Nice one. My daughter is two in couple weeks, the thought of putting a fishing rod in her hand scares me, she's a nut case!!

    Congrats on the milestone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael got his first fish on his 2nd birthday. start em' out small. Ultralight spinning rod and a worm. They'll catch on.

      Delete
  4. Wow, Mike. That is a great milestone. Reading the conversation between you and Michael brought a tear to my eye. My son was 12 when he got me to pick up a fly rod for the first time. Enjoy your time together. It goes too quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your son got you into fly fishing? That's pretty awesome.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I feel blessed with kid that wants to share his love for the sport, Mike. My wife blogged about it http://gin-clear.blogspot.com/2011/07/view-from-gin-clears-better-half.html?m=1 Tom Rosenbauer put the story in his latest book "Family Friendly Fly Fishing" pretty humbled ...

      Delete
  5. Awesome! I can't wait for Spring to get Gavin (2) out with some worms & bobber and eventually some topwater flies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we should get the kids together and slam them on opening day.

      Delete
  6. Good stuff! Something you'll never forget.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome! I can't wait to fish with my kids.

    ReplyDelete