Wednesday, May 4, 2011

The Graphite Ganster

I came up with this pattern tonight at the vise. It was spawned from two patterns that worked well for me over the weekend. I caught fish on WD40s, and a CDC midge emerger. The WD40s I was tossing had a tiny bit of flash in the ribbing and the midge had a CDC puff for the wingcase which popped up over the eye of the hook. I went with UV quill for a little shine, and dark dun CDC.

I had the most luck with grey patterns on Sunday. Not sure exactly what the fish were taking it for. I was catching them in a deep, fast run so I'm thinking it more more sillohuette than color. Most likely a baetis emerger.

Size 18 Emerger hook
Orvis grey thread 8/0
Dark Dun CDC
Hareline Hare's Ear Plus dubbing - black
Fly D&K UV Quill body - xtra-small graphite


Try trailing these types of flies behind a heavy nymph through deep moving water. The trout have been loving them.

Also, I'd like to give a shoutout to Hareline. I purchased one of their cautery pens back at the Somerset show. The thing probably had a total of 5-10 minutes of use and the batteries died. Unfortunately, there's no easy way to replace them since the whole thing is sealed tight. It was a longshot, but I decided to email them anyway to explain what happened, and asked if there was in fact some way to replace the batteries. They replied within 12 hours, gave me instructions on how to basically cut the thing open if I really wanted to replace the batteries, apologized for the inconvenience, and said they would ship me out a new pen for free! It's rare that you get customer service that great these days and I will definitely support them by purchasing their products in the future. Thanks Hareline!

1 comment: