Wednesday, December 29, 2010

I'm sick, so I went fishing

I woke up today with a really bad cold. I came downstairs and my wonderful wife had pancakes and fresh fruit all ready to eat. Besides feeling like death, that's not a bad way to start the day.

I had cabin fever so even though I felt sick, I still bundled up and headed to the stream for a quick solo trip. I fished the Heritage section of the Little Lehigh. It was very windy, very cold, and the water was gin clear and still really low. For the first hour, I could only muster a few follows but no strikes, so I was changing flies about every 20 casts or so and sight casting to a few fish holding position in some calmer water to see if they'd show interest. I finally had a hit on the redneck pheasant tail and was soon in to a fight with a really nice brown, probably 15-16 inches. Unfortunately, he ran me around a fallen log and broke me off. The worst part was, he spooked the hole where another 4 fish were lying.

Frustrated, I moved upstream about a hundred yards, tied on a sucker spawn followed by the same pheasant tail pattern and started to hit some deep runs. I finally started to have some luck. I pulled a brown and a bow on the pheasant tail, and I also hit another brown on a clown egg.

One thing I noticed is that the 8 degree change in temperature made the fish more active. Even though these fish were on the smaller end, they definitely had my 4 weight Sage reel singing when they hit the faster water, and fought much harder than the fish I got in to on Sunday.

All in all, not a bad 2 hour trip. I had to work hard for the fish I got, but it wasn't a skunk. Sorry for the poor pics, I only had the I-phone with me.






One more thing..
Speaking of pancakes, can anyone explain this video to me?

1 comment:

  1. Not a bad 2 hour trip at all, especialy when the temp changes and the fish turn on.

    ReplyDelete