Saturday, December 4, 2010

Bargains and bottom bouncing

Well, the Little Lehigh fly shop is closing it's doors for good. As of Friday, everything was half off so I made the morning drive to snag some deals. I did pick up a ton of hooks, weight, tying materials, and gadgets.

Some people are really sad to see this place go. I don't care that much, but it was nice to be able to pick up a leader if you need a new one while hiking the stream, or to stop in for a cup of coffee while midge fishing in 15 degree weather. Rod did teach me a BWO pattern that has netted me dozens of fish, so I owe him one of that. It's really easy and come to think of it, I should make a tutorial post for it because I like it so much.

Anyway, after stuffing a bag full of chenille, hooks, hackle, foam, etc, I figured I'd make a few casts while I was up there. I fished for an hour just above the fly shop in pretty discolored water. Started off with the rubber legged Copper John since it worked well for me last week and once again, it did the trick. I hooked in to a pretty brown trout. The spots on his gills were beautiful and he could have been a model for a Derek DeYoung painting. The poor i-Phone pic doesnt do this fish any justice.



Switching to a brown Wooly Bugger also paid off with a 15 inch stocked bow. Not a bad day.

Now, time to knock out some more streamers....

No comments:

Post a Comment