Wednesday, January 26, 2011

My first fly swap - flies completed



I've been in a funk with tying since Somerset. I've been experimenting with all the new materials I got and nothing I've tied seems to look right to me. I get 3/4 of the way through a fly and then it gets tossed into that giant pile of "**ck up flies" that I always say I'll strip down some day to get the hooks and beads back. Yeah, that never happens. I think the pile is close to 100 flies right now.


I did however to knock out some midges. I decided to join a fly swap on the PAFlyFish forum, and the subject was midges. You have to do two patterns, 15 of each fly. I decided to go with the rubber band midge I posted earlier in a size 22, and a zebra midge in size 18 with a hot orange tungsten bead head. I've had luck so far this winter with a hot spot zebra midge, and I have yet to catch a fish yet on the other pattern but A)I think it would work and B)I only tried to fish it once. I want to see if anyone else has luck with it.


Here's the results


Hot spot zebra midge
size 18 curved scud hook
black uni-thread 8/0
UTC copper wire - sm
5/64 Rip Lips hot orange tungsten bead


Rubber band midge
Orvis size 22 scud hook
Black rubber band (body/ribbing)
black superfine dubbing
Uni-thread - iron grey 8/0



They do look pretty sexy all lined up in a fly box. I'll have to knock out some for myself.





Well, that's about all I got. If you need me, I'll be snow blowing for the next week. There's almost a foot out there since 6pm! I need to fish this weekend. It's been almost two damn weeks.

2 comments:

  1. Great looking flies once again.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a few black wire midges with hotspot thread, not bead for the LL tomorrow! Going to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete