Wednesday, April 27, 2011

3 things I want in a nymph right now



Anyone within a 50 mile radius of me right now can tell you that the water flows have not been cooperative for fly fishing. Just as it's clearing up today, I currently hear thunderstorms rolling through. It never ends. I'm just going to have to deal with it and make the best of the conditions.

That being said, I wanted to find a nymph pattern that will work in this messy water. I want it to:

1.Be a general representation of a natural food source, but nothing too specific. I dont think it needs to be detailed. The water is fast and murky. The fish aren't going to examine it in detail.

2.Be heavy as hell. It needs to slow down during the fast flows to have a chance of getting a strike.

3.Have some type of flashy attracting characteristics.


I think I found the one I'm looking for. I found a John Barr pattern called a Tung Teaser. He said he based it off a prince nymph, because the fish love the color scheme, but he still wanted it to look somewhat natural. I did a few tweaks to his original, but I can't wait to try it out. I love the flash under the thin skin. It gives it just enough sparkle, without making it look unnatural. I kept the biots a little longer to give it a tiny bit more movement. In hindsight, I might have overdid it with them, but I'll try them out anyway.

Size 16 Tiemco 2XL nymph hook (sorry, I forgot the exact #)
Tungsten bead - gold
.015 lead underbody
Uni-Thread 8/0 in brown
White goose biots
Jan Siman peacock bronze dubbing
Gold wire ribbing
Pearl Flashabou (bottom wingcase)
Mottled turkey thin skin (top wingcase)
Indian hen feathers (legs)
UV Epoxy (over wingcase and part of bead)

(click on the images for hi-res detail)

6 comments:

  1. Chipped a tooth on my monitor trying to bite it. I like it.

    Thanks for sharing.
    Passinthru Outdoors Blog - Sharing the Passion

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ever considered using sink tips?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys.

    Sink tips are fine, but I like the chance to still be able to throw a dry if I start seeing rises without having to switch leaders, spools, etc. I'm usually fishing small streams so some shot and two tungsten nymphs can usually get it down fast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Going to tie some of these up right now! Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete